On July 31st, Sen. Colbeck introduced SB 459 - a bill which he claims is a "free market solution" - but actually implements Obamacare in Michigan.
- restricts your options when shopping for health plans
- sets up state-licensed insurance exchanges
- creates a new state-run "low-income trust fund"
- allows this "trust fund" to "receive money or assets from any source" - including the federal government
- gives a government bureaucrat the sole discretionary power to direct the investment of funds for the "trust fund"
Colbeck wants to have it both ways. On the one hand, he wants us to believe that he's a "problem-solver" with "free market solutions" to high health care costs. On the other, he tells us that "we have to work within the constraints" created by the Obamacare law.
A real free market solution to health care wouldn't impose more government controls on the health insurance industry - it would nullify Obamacare and other federal restrictions on your health care, instead of "working within the constraints" of those unconstitutional laws.
If you don't believe what I have to say about Colbeck's new bill, then I dare you to read it for yourself and come to a conclusion different from my own.