Thursday, June 6, 2013

Holding Kerry Bentivolio Accountable

A productive way for me to get my trouble-making itch taken care of
For every single belief you have about politics, I want you to ask yourself: "How does it benefit politicians if I believe this?" They want you to fall for lies like the lesser-of-two-evils argument, the pragmatist's excuse ("it's not politically possible"), and my all-time favorite "don't cause a ruckus - just talk to me personally if you have any issues."

Why? Because they don't want to be held accountable for their votes - and in Kerry Bentivolio's case, he doesn't want to be held accountable for his broken campaign promises.

A broken campaign promise is fraud, since it is an implicit contract made with donors, volunteers, and voters that is then broken. It should be prosecuted as such - but of course politicians have made an exception in the legal code for themselves. But more to the point, breaking a campaign promise is profoundly immoral.

A broken campaign promise is a lie which, in turn, is an evasion of reality made on part of the liar - and because recognizing reality is so important to each and every individual's survival and flourishing, it is never moral to fake or evade reality.* A lie becomes worse when it is used to defraud others of their time, effort, money, prestige, and votes - and that is exactly what Kerry Bentivolio did on a mass scale to those who volunteered for him, donated money to his campaign, endorsed him, and voted for him when he made campaign promises that he could not keep.

Rather than sit idly while politicians get away with mass deception, it is time activists go to war against their lies. Politicians are such concrete-bound, Pavlovian animals that the only thing they seem to understand is their short-term future. Politicians rarely look beyond their next re-election. That's why it's necessary for activists to hit the politicians where it hurts, by letting them know that they will suffer political consequences if they break their promises.

All that it would take in order to completely change the political dynamic would be an irate, tireless minority of the American population, say just 3%, dedicated to putting pressure on politicians. I plan to lead by example.

That is why I promise to follow Kerry Bentivolio's mobile office whenever and wherever it stops inside the Wayne 11th District.

* For more on the morality of honesty, I suggest budding philosophers check out Tara Smith's Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics: The Virtuous Egoist and the Ayn Rand Lexicon entries for Honesty and Evasion.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I voted for him now. He was on the ballot and I thought he would be good, but got a good lesson and I will be more thorough next time. I am a delegate and I tend toward the libertarian issues. We should have known more about him. But I won't be voting for him again.

    ReplyDelete